Div 1 Interactions Program
Interactions programming supports students in division 1 with autism spectrum disorder (ASD). ASD impacts how people understand what they see, hear and sense. Although some students with ASD achieve at grade level, many have uneven or delayed achievement.
- Improve communication, social interaction and behaviour while developing academic skills
- Demonstrate growth in communication skills
- Demonstrate growth in building and maintaining relationships, and understanding social situations
- Demonstrate growth in managing frustration and problem-solving
- Improved ability to handle change or challenging emotions (e.g., anxiety)
- Development of life skills to support independent living and employment
- Structured environment with regular routines
- Smaller classes for more targeted instruction
- Visual aids, concrete examples and hands-on activities
- Frequent praise and other meaningful rewards to help students adopt positive behaviours and attitudes
- Opportunities to join other classes for instruction in a student’s areas of strength
To be eligible for programming, students must be:
- 5 ½ to 19 years old on September 1
- Clinically diagnosed with ASD
- Demonstrating stereotyped behaviours, and have severe impairment in social interactions and communication
All Edmonton Public Schools programming is based on curriculum determined by Alberta Education. Students enrolled in Interactions will receive the same high-quality education offered in all of our programs.
Most schools offering special education programming have some yellow busing options available. For more information about busing, please contact us here at the office 780-489-5100 or call Student Transportation at 780-429-8585.